By R. Miller
An excessive charged particle beam should be characterised as an prepared charged particle movement for which the consequences of beam self-fields are of significant value in describing the evolution of the stream. examine making use of such beams is now a speedily growing to be box with vital functions starting from the improvement of excessive strength resources of coherent radiation to inertial confinement fusion. significant courses have now been verified at numerous laboratories within the usa and nice Britain, in addition to within the USSR, Japan, and a number of other japanese and Western eu international locations. furthermore, comparable learn actions are being pursued on the graduate point at a number of universities within the US and in another country. while the writer first entered this box in 1973 there has been no unmarried reference textual content that supplied a extensive survey of the $64000 issues, but contained enough element to be of curiosity to the lively researcher. That scenario has persevered, and this ebook is an try and fill the void. As such, the textual content is geared toward the graduate pupil, or starting researcher; despite the fact that, it includes plentiful info to be a handy reference resource for the complicated worker.
Read or Download An Introduction to the Physics of Intense Charged Particle Beams PDF
Similar atomic & nuclear physics books
The aim of this text is to study spontaneous emission from numerous assorted viewpoints, even if a wide a part of it will likely be dedicated to the quantum statistical theories of spontaneous emission that have been constructed lately, and to discussing the interrelations between varied techniques.
- Physics of biomolecules and cells
- Molecular Machines and Motors (Structure and Bonding)
- Modulational Interactions in Plasmas (Astrophysics and Space Science Library)
- Macromolecular Physics: Volume I: Crystal Structure, Morphology, Defects (v. 1)
- THEORY AND APPLICATION OF QUANTUM MOLECULAR DYNAMICS
Additional resources for An Introduction to the Physics of Intense Charged Particle Beams
Finally, the condition is reached when most of the electrons which leave the cathode surface are reflected by the potential barrier (curve IV). Since the applied field causes those electrons which pass the barrier to leave the interelectrode space, the barrier breaks down (curve V) and the process repeats. Such time-dependent behavior can be considered as a self-regulating switch that allows a certain average current (the space-charge-limited current) to flow. ) K t ...... c ..... 6. Electrostatic potential in a one-dimensional diode including the effects of the electron space charge.
30) For a beam of constant density out to the radius rb Eqs. 32) where we= (4wn oe 2 jm)I/2 is the beam plasma frequency. Substituting Eq. 32) into Eq. 28) yields . 33) Sec. 3 • Qualitative Behavior of Charged Particle Beams 23 Hence, the unneutralized beam self-fields cause the beam to expand, while the Bo supplies a restoring force. 6 kG; however, for a I-MeV proton beam of the same density Bo must exceed 188 kG. Hence, solenoidal magnetic fields can easily satisfy the equilibrium condition for vacuum transport of intense electron beams, but charge neutralization is usually required for intense ion beam transport.
20) with the aid of Eqs. 32), and the charge density is then determined from Eq. 22). The physically impossible result that the electron density is infinite at the cathode is a consequence of the zero initial velocity assumption. In reality, the initial velocities are small but nonzero, and the charge density is large though finite. 2). For small aspect ratio diodes undergoing space charge limited flow, the dominant electron motion is still along the electrostatic lines of force (which may have a large radial component), but the geometrical factor in the perveance relationships is altered.