Star-studded and accomplished, this inventive anthology brings a myriad of contemporary fable voices less than one roof. formerly tricky for readers to find in its new modes, city delusion is represented the following in all 3 of its distinctive styles—playful new mythologies, horny paranormal romances, and gritty city noir. whether or not they function tattooed demon-hunters, angst-ridden vampires, supernatural gumshoes, or pixelated pixies, those authors—including Patricia Briggs, Neil Gaiman, and Charles de Lint—mash-up conventional fare with popular culture, growing iconic characters, conflicted moralities, and complicated settings. the result's starkly unique fiction that has broad-based allure and is immensely entertaining.
Introduction via Peter S. Beagle
• creation: “A own trip Into Mythic Fiction” through Charles de Lint
• “A poultry That Whistles” through Emma Bull
• “Make a cheerful Noise” via Charles de Lint
• “The Goldfish Pool and different Stories” by means of Neil Gaiman
• “On the line to New Egypt” via Jeffrey Ford
• “Julie’s Unicorn” by means of Peter S. Beagle
• advent: “A humorous factor occurred so that it will city Fantasy” by way of Paula Guran
• “Companions to the Moon” through Charles de Lint
• “A Haunted condominium of Her Own” by way of Kelley Armstrong
• “She’s My Witch” through Norman Partridge
• “Kitty’s Zombie New Year” by way of Carrie Vaughn
• “Seeing Eye” through Patricia Briggs
• “Hit” by means of Bruce McAllister
• “Boobs” by means of Suzy McKee Charnas
• “Farewell, My Zombie” via Francesca Lia Block
• advent: “We usually are not a membership, yet We occasionally proportion a Room” via Joe R. Lansdale
• “The White Man” through Thomas M. Disch
• “Gestella” by way of Susan Palwick
• “The Coldest woman in Coldtown” via Holly Black
• “Talking again to the Moon” via Steven R. Boyett
• “On the some distance part of the Cadillac wilderness With lifeless Folks” via Joe R. Lansdale
• “The Bible Repairman” by means of Tim Powers
• “Father Dear” by way of Al Sarrantonio
Read Online or Download The Urban Fantasy Anthology PDF
Best urban fantasy books
Company has been gradual. ok, enterprise has been lifeless. and never even of the undead sort. you are going to imagine Chicago could have a bit extra motion for the single specialist wizard within the yellow pages. yet in recent years, Harry Dresden hasn't been in a position to dredge up any type of paintings - magical or mundane. yet simply whilst it feels like he can't have the funds for his subsequent meal, a homicide comes alongside that calls for his specific model of supernatural services.
Paranormal inner most eye. Grim reaper extraordinaire. no matter what. Charley Davidson is again! And she's ingesting copious quantities of caffeine to stick wakeful simply because, at any time when she closes her eyes, she sees him: Reyes Farrow, the part-human, part-supermodel son of devil. sure, she did imprison him for all eternity, yet come on.
Chloe King used to be a regular sixteen-year-old lady.
She did her homework and bought sturdy grades, yet she wasn't afraid to ditch category occasionally to hang around together with her top associates. She slept at domestic, yet another way kept away from all human touch together with her mother. the standard stuff.
Then she fell from San Francisco's optimum tower, and her existence replaced. For starters, she died. after which, she awakened.
Now Chloe's lifestyles is whatever yet basic: abruptly men are prowling round her, she's transforming into claws, and someone's attempting to kill her.
fortunately for Chloe, she nonetheless has 8 lives to head.
Ethan Kaille isn’t the likeliest hero. A former sailor with a afflicted prior, Ethan is a thieftaker, utilizing conjuring talents to seek down those that scouse borrow from the great voters of Boston. And whereas chasing down miscreants in 1768 makes his lifestyles a dangerous one, the simmering political tensions among loyalists like himself and rabble-rousing revolutionaries like Samuel Adams and others of his ilk are even perhaps extra harmful to his health and wellbeing.
- Twenty Palaces: A Prequel (Twenty Palaces, Book 0)
- Soul Ink (Grimm Agency, Book 1.5)
- Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, Book 6)
- Mongrels: A Novel
- Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, Book 6)
Extra resources for The Urban Fantasy Anthology
Not me. 舡 I stuffed the toad into my sack and picked up another. 舡 Billy drew a folded piece of paper out of the pocket of his sweats and read it. 舡 I blinked at him. 舡 舠I dropped by your office and checked your messages. A Ms. 舡 I felt my temper rising again. 舡 His expression turned annoyed. 舠I checked your mail, too. The landlord for the office dropped off your eviction notice. 舡 舠What the hell gives you the right to go poking around in my office, Billy? 舡 He took a step in front of me, glaring.
Her mouth firmed into a line. 舠I see. Then, if you will excuse me舒舡 This time I interrupted her. 舠Ms. 舡 Her eyes glittered, anger showing for a moment, cool and far away. 舡 I nodded. I opened the drawer to my desk and took out a pad of paper. 舠Yeah. 舡 I drew out a pen, took off the lid, and set it down beside the pad. 舠Uh-huh. Then you come in here. 舡 she inquired. 舠Too good to be true,舡 I repeated. 44-caliber revolver from the desk drawer, leveled it at her, and thumbed back the hammer. 舠Call me crazy, but lately I舗ve been thinking that if something舗s too good to be true, then it probably isn舗t.
This day just kept getting better. My office is in a building in midtown. It isn舗t much of a building, but it still looked too good for me that day. I got a glare from the aging security guard downstairs and felt lucky that he recognized me from previous encounters. A new guy probably would have given me the bum舗s rush without blinking. I nodded at the guard and smiled and tried to look businesslike. Heh. I walked past the elevator on my way to the stairs. There was a sign on it that said it was under repair.